Friday 18 February 2011

Records Of The Year 2009

I wrote this at the end of 2009 and never posted it

Another year when there hasn’t been any music that has blown my pants off. Why aren’t my pants being blown off anymore? Am I going off music or something? 2005 and 2006 were great years for music, this year just hasn’t removed my trousers. 1999 was like that. Maybe it’s just years ending in a 9.
Anyway, there are some records that I’ve enjoyed greatly. So here they are in my top 10 records of 2009.

1. Fuck Buttons – Tarot Sport

Bleep, beep, boop. I’ve been listening to this a lot in the past couple of months. I find it mesmerising. These aren’t going to be long reviews you know, I’m knocking this up in my last 30 minutes of work before breaking for Chrimble.

2. Howling Bells – Radio Wars

Have you noticed that melodic indie/pop seems to be creeping quite high in these recent lists?

3. Camera Obscura – My Maudlin Career

I was disappointed at first because it wasn’t as immediately awesome as Let’s Get Out Of This Country. But when I stopped comparing it to its predecessor I realised how good it was. Seeing Camera Obscura live was also my live music highlight of 2009.

4. Decemberists – Hazards Of Love

Ha, love it or hate it? I probably know more who fall into the latter camp. Me? Well, I really like it.

5. St Vincent – Actor

This is ace.

6. The Horrors – Primary Colours

There are a lot of confused people wandering around trying to work out why The Horrors’ album is so good.

7. The Duckworth Lewis Method – s/t

A concept album about cricket? With Neil Hannon? What’s not to like?

8. Jamie T – Kings & Queens

Yes, really!

9. Oneida – Rated O

Onedia should be number 1. Why aren’t they number 1? Because my brain didn’t like it as much as I thought it should.

10. Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest

A grower, not a show-er.

Honourable Mentions

Noah & the Whale – The First Days Of Spring

Lovely folk miserableness.

Florence & The Machine – Lungs

Hannah’s idol

Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavillion

Hitty. Missy. Not as good as previous works.

No comments:

Post a Comment