Friday 3 February 2012

The Day The Music Died

Was 2011 a poor year for music or have I just stopped listening?
I can’t really comment conclusively on the former because the latter is at least partly true. I just didn’t listen to my usual amount of music in 2011. This could be, and probably is, slightly down to 2011 not being a vintage year for the sort of music I listen to, but is also because I spent more time doing other things last year. The demise of my radio show led to me seeking out new music less, and the tediousness of my job meant that I often listened to podcasts as these sometimes helped move time on slightly faster while at work.
Spare time was also eaten up by the allotment, and I read /watched more. Less time for just sitting down and listening to music.
But, there were albums I liked, even if there weren’t many that I loved. So, let’s have this…

The Annual GDA Records Of The Year – 2011

1. The Dears – Degeneration Street
2. Patrick Wolf – Lupercalia
3. Joy Formidable – The Big Roar
4. Slow Club – Paradise
5. The Vaccines – What Did You Expect From The Vaccines
6. British Sea Power – Valhalla Dancehall
7. Low – C’Mon
8. Mogwai – Hardcore Will never Die, But You Will
9. Battles – Gloss Drop
10. Roots Manuva – 4everrevolution

Other mentions – St. Vincent, Metronomy, PJ Harvey, Beirut, Explosions In The Sky, TV On The Radio.

Boy, this wasn’t a strong year for music.
I had the original plan for this blog a few weeks back after I’d compiled the list above and found it pretty uninspiring. It looks too obvious and rather bland. Don’t get me wrong, the Dears album especially is superb, but I just remember being disappointed with the BSP album. So how is it number 6? Was 2011 really that bad? I obviously didn’t listen to enough music.

But, I feel 2012 is going to be better. Not because of some amazing albums I’ve been listening to, I haven’t actually bought an album yet in 2012. But, I can feel something stirring inside, something that doesn’t want to listen to as many podcasts and something that wants to waste a lot of money on music again. That part of me was hibernating last year and it feels like it has finally awoken.
For now anyway, check back in 12 months to read similar moans about how they just don’t make them like they used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment